Chinese sculptor Zhang Yaxi (pronounced 'Yashi' in English) was born in
Chongqing, Sichuan province, China in 1968. She speaks English,
Mandarin and her native Sichuanese.
Education & Work
Exhibited Sculptures / Sculpture Symposia
- 1982-1986: Studies in the Secondary Art School attached to the Sichuan Fine Art Institute.
Studies in the Sculpture Department of the Sichuan Fine Art Institute. Graduated with a Bachelor of
Fine Arts degree.
- 1993-1994: Studies at the Sculpture Department of the Central Academy of Fine Arts
in Beijing, China.
- 2002: Earned a Masters of Fine Arts Degree from the China Fine Art
Academy in Zhejiang.
Three month residency at the Cite Internationale des Arts in Paris
France, with visits to museums and sculpture parks in Holland, Belgium,
Germany and Italy.
Further English studies and Post-Graduate studies.
Works her way up from Assistant Lecturer to Associate Professor,
teaching sculpture in the Design Department of the Sichuan Fine Art
Institute, as well as pursuing her professional career as a sculptor in
her own studio. She has also participated in national and international
sculpture symposia and national exhibitions.
Folk Song sculpture for the 7th
National Art Exhibition
Work for 1st Contemporary Young Sculptors Invitation Exhibition
Song for the 8th National Art Exhibition
Start of the Race sculpture for
Sichuan Provincial Sport-Art Exhibition
Good Friend sculpture for the
China ShiJiaZhuang International Sculpture Symposium
Gate of Life - monumental urban sculpture
for the China Changchun International Sculpture Symposium 2001
- monumental snow sculpture created in Harbin, China - winner
of 3rd prize
Child (Holding Bubble Bath - My
Daughter) - International Group Exhibition of
Contemporary Chinese Artists - Seoul, South Korea
Ba - Monumental
granite sculpture, An Giang, Vietnam
Standing Woman - Daguan Park, Kunming, Yunnan Province, China
Hope - "Human and Nature"
sculpture exhibition, Beijing, China
(Kunming, China), Contact
(Hoian, Vietnam) and Mother
and Child (Qinghai Province)
Tai Chi Master,
Riverside Gallery, Barnes, London, UK
- 2009 Water Dream, Sculpture Symposium, Vietnam
- 2010 Black Marble, South Korea
- 2010, Horses & Riders, 6th International Sculpture Symposium ITM Univers Gwalior, India
- 2002 Awarded a 3-month residency at Cite Internationale des Arts in Paris, France
- 2008 Awarded
the prestigious Excellence Prize by the National Urban Sculpture
Association for her public art Mother
and Child sculpture in Qinghai Province (created in 2007).
- 2009 Major public accolade / token of esteem in China: Mother
included in book published by the National Urban Sculpture Association
featuring the best 100 city sculptures in China from 1949 to 2009